[netCDF #EVU-958005]: netCDF - issue with data I/O on cluster

Hello,

Can you provide any of the files with an error (or some subset thereof) that I
could take a look at?  The '-' typically indicates the use of a 'fill value' in
the data, is it possible that this is what is being represented?

If you have access to the 'ncdump' command line utility, can you provide the
output from 'ncdump -k <filename>' and 'ncdump -h <filename>'?

Thank you, my apologies for the delayed response!

-Ward
Ward Fisher
address@hidden
UCAR/Unidata - Software Engineer
NetCDF Team Lead

> Hello netCDF developers,
>
> My name is Ashna. I'm a PhD candidate in Geophysics and Space Physics at
> UCLA, and I've developed an MPI parallel fluid dynamics convection code
> that uses netCDF with HDF5 for file I/O. The code is written in Fortan, and
> I've ported it to several supercomputing clusters to run simulations.
>
> On one of these clusters, Stampede2 (
> https://portal.tacc.utexas.edu/user-guides/stampede2) I am getting a bug
> with some of my netCDF output files that I can't fix. For reference, I am
> using version 4.3.3.1 on this cluster.
> The bug I am getting is that some of my checkpoint files (that I use to
> restart my code from that point in time) have "-" as values, rather than a
> number. I say "some" of my checkpoint files because the bug is
> inconsistent. A handful of cases run without this problem. Because of this
> error, I cannot restart the code from this point in time, and essentially
> lose the run.
>
> Can someone from your team help me with this problem? I can also send more
> details if need be. I am relatively new to netCDF - I learned about from
> reading online, so any help would be very appreciated.
> Thanks,
>
> -Ashna

Ticket ID: EVU-958005
Department: Support netCDF