[netCDF #EMJ-284454]: ncdump scalar annotation bug

Thank you very much for the bug report, and particularly for the test file.
I've fixed the issue and will be merging the fix into the development branch at
the Unidata github repository shortly.  It will be fixed in the next release.
Great catch, thank you very much!

-Ward

> Hello NetCDF team,
>
> I'd like to report a bug in ncdump affecting all versions from 4.4.0,
> including the latest version, 4.7.4. It has been introduced going from
> 4.4.0-rc5 to 4.4.0 when Github issue #181 was corrected
> (changing line 506 in ncdump/vardata.c). I have attached the simplest
> possible NetCDF file to demonstrate the bug. I created this file from a
> handwritten cdl file demo.cdl using the command "ncgen -b -k nc4
> demo.cdl".
>
> The problem: ncdump reports an incorrect index in the annotation of a
> scalar when called with the -f option.
>
> > ncdump -fc tmp/demo.nc
> netcdf demo {
> variables:
> int n ;
>
> // global attributes:
> :title = "File demonstrating ncdump scalar annotation bug"
> ;
> data:
>
> n = 1;  // n(18446744073709551615)
> }
>
> Note that 18446744073709551615 decimal = 1999 9999 9999 9999 hex.
>
> > ncdump -ff tmp/demo.nc
> n = 1;  // n(33)
>
> Versions prior to 4.4.0 (including 4.4.0-rc5) show this bug for Fortran
> indices but not for C indices:
>
> > ncdump -fc tmp/demo.nc
> n = 1;  // n(0)
>
> > ncdump -ff tmp/demo.nc
> n = 1;  // n(34)
>
> Best regards,
> Michael Eisinger
>

> This message is intended only for the recipient(s) named above. It may
> contain proprietary information and/or
> protected content. Any unauthorised disclosure, use, retention or
> dissemination is prohibited. If you have received
> this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately. ESA applies
> appropriate organisational measures to protect
> personal data, in case of data privacy queries, please contact the ESA Data
> Protection Officer (address@hidden).

Ticket ID: EMJ-284454
Department: Support netCDF