[netCDF #BXK-889741]: Question about NetCDF definition

Hello,

NetCDF is a file format, a data model, and an API provided by the `libnetcdf`
software library.  The netCDF file format can refer to one of several things;
it can be a 'classic' netCDF file, or the extended netCDF file (used to store
the netCDF-4 data model), which is based on the hdf5 file format.

So yes, it is correct to say that NetCDF is a file format! I hope this helps,
have a great day,

-Ward

> Hello,
>
> I recently prepared a paper using NetCDF for managing the scientific
> datasets. I hope to get some help to clarify if NetCDF is a file format
> (e.g. files with ".nc" file extensions).
>
> Someone pointed out that NetCDF is not a file format but a data model.
> (e.g. NetCDF4 is an HDF5 based encoding of the NetCDF data model).
>
> But in the NetCDF official website, it mentioned about "netCDF" file
> format, with the first letter in lower case (Is there any difference from
> "NetCDF" file format?)
> https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf_introduction.html
>
> Also in the ArcGIS website, it states that NetCDF is a file format.
> https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/multidimensional/a-quick-tour-of-netcdf-data.htm
>

> Could you please help to clarify if it is correct to say NetCDF is a file
> format?
>
> Thank you,
> Tian Gan

Ticket ID: BXK-889741