[netCDF #ULR-999382]: assistance with radar level 2 data

Hi,

As far as the units are concerned, those are available as the "units" attribute
on the `RadialDatasetSweep.RadialVariable` object in the code you sent. Try
adding this just after `varRef` is created:

    System.out.println("units: " +
varRef.findAttributeIgnoreCase("units").getStringValue());

For how to visualize, the data are collected in a polar (well, technically
spherical) coordinate system with the radar location at the origin. So exactly
how much work you want to put into visualizing depends on your use case. The
simplest is to take the azimuth angle (which is measured in degrees *clockwise*
from 0, which is north) and range distance (calculated from the gate index
multiplied by the gate size) together and get x,y relative to the origin as:

x = range * sin(az)
y = range * cos(az)

Hope this helps,

Ryan

> Hello, I am parsing level 2 radar data using the UCAR API by following this
> example here:
>
> https://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/radar/Radar-Decoding-JavaSolution.txt
>
> However, when the sweep.readData(i) line is called, I get a list of values,
> and it is unclear what the units are or how the data is to be visualized.
>
> Please let me know what I'm missing (maybe some documentation) to make sense
> of this data and to do some plots with it. I could load the data into
> postgres and use postgis/gdal to do "thing" with it as needed.

Ticket ID: ULR-999382
Department: Support netCDF Java