[netCDF #MVA-221747]: Recovering NetCDF files after data loss

First, I suggest you post this to the netcdfgroup mailing list
(address@hidden). That should get you lots of useful
recovery ideas.

Next, you can run the command 'ncdump -k <filename>'
and it will report "unknown file format" if the file is not a netcdf file

Alternatively, If you can write program in C, C++, or python,
you can look at the magic number that exists at the beginning of
every netcdf file. Specifically:
1. look for the first three characters of the file to be "CDF"
    -- that indicates a netcdf-3 file.
2. look for the first four characters of the file to be "\211HDF"
   -- that indicates either a netcdf-4 file.

If you suspect that some of the files have been corrupted, then you can
use Wei-king Liao's netcdf-3 validator program to try to see how the
file was damaged. There may also be an equivalent program provided by the
hdf group for checking netcdf-4 (i.e. HDF5) files.

> we had a massive data loss at our university computational cluster. A
> lot of data was recovered (millions of files), but without filenames and
> folder structure. I am trying to recover simulation data from molecular
> dynamics simulations, generated with the Amber software. The data is
> stored in NetCDF format.
>
> I was wondering if you could suggest a way to identify any NetCDF files
> among the recovered data.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help!
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Andreas Tosstorff
> --
> www.proteininteractions.eu
> PIPPI conference
>
> M.Sc. Andreas Tosstorff
> Lehrstuhl für Pharmazeutische Technologie und Biopharmazie
> Department Pharmazie
> LMU München
> Butenandtstr. 5-13 ( Haus B)
> 81377 München