[netCDF #TYE-888104]: NF90_FILL_FLOAT from bash

[Dennis Heimbigner butting in]
If you want the default fill values, the only place I know that
they are defined is in the netcdf header file, netcdf.h. It is possible
that they are also defined in the fortran netcdf header file also.

> well I did that in fact by writing a fortran programme to print the
> value and then cut and pasting the value in the bash script writing the
> netcdf file with ncgen... But I was just wondering if there were a way
> to access the value directly from bash, i.e. is there some environmental
> variable defined in the system with float missing values?
>
> best wishes and many thanks, Adrian
>

> On 26/02/2019 23:16, Unidata netCDF Support wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm not entirely certain I understand, but you can set the default fill
> > value by adding the _FilllValue attribute to a .cdl file before processing
> > it with ncgen.  Is this what you're trying to do? If so, you could
> > certainly use bash scripting to insert these values into the cdl source
> > files before invoking ncgen.  Or are you trying to do something else?
> >
> > I hope this helps; if I misunderstood, please let me know and I'll revise
> > my response. Thanks!
> >
> > -Ward
> >
> >> hi there,
> >>
> >> is there any way of accessing the default fill values such as
> >> NF90_FILL_FLOAT easily from bash so I can use them in a script writing
> >> a netcdf file using ncgen?  I prefer not to have to write a fortran
> >> programme to access them if I can help it...
> >>
> >> thanks and best wishes, Adrian
> >>
> >> --
> >> Adrian Tompkins          | Earth System Physics
> >> +39 040 2240579 (office) | ICTP
> >> +39 040 22407579 (fax)   | Strada Costiera 11
> >> www.ictp.it/~tompkins    | 34151 Trieste, Italy
> >>

> > Ticket Details
> > ===================
> > Ticket ID: TYE-888104
> > Department: Support netCDF
> > NOTE: All email exchanges with Unidata User Support are recorded in the
> > Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through
> > the web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in
> > this way, you must let us know in each email you send to us.
> >

> --
> Adrian Tompkins         www.ictp.it/~tompkins
> Earth System Physics    office 251,ex-SISSA blg
> ICTP, Trieste, Italy    0039 040 2240579

=Dennis Heimbigner
  Unidata

Ticket ID: TYE-888104
Department: Support netCDF