[netCDF #KZW-910212]: Reading 'text' variable through the Fortran90 netCDF interface

This is a known problem for which we do not currently have a solution:
it requires more understanding of the FORTRAN/C interface than any of us
here at Unidata has.
The basic problem is the you are reading a vector of variable-length
strings. See here: https://github.com/Unidata/netcdf-fortran/issues/72

We(Unidata) has not yet been able to figure out how to
properly define an API in fortran to access the strings in the vector.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

> A couple of us in NCAR's MMM lab have been trying unsuccessfully read a
> 'text' variable from a netCDF file via the Fortran90 interface to the
> netCDF library. Having looked at documentation (e.g.,
> https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/netcdf-4/newdocs/netcdf-f90/Reading-and-Writing-Character-String-Values.html#Reading-and-Writing-Character-String-Values)
> and relevant support mailing list posts (e.g.,
> https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/netcdf/msg11262.html),
> we're still not having any success.
>
> I've attached the toy program that we're trying to use to read the text
> variable, as well as a sample netCDF file from which we're trying to read.
> The variable in question is named 'station_id'.
>
> Specifically, could you provide any insight as to how the call to
> nf90_get_var at line 79 of the attached toy program should look?
>
> Any help would be very much appreciated!
>
> Michael

=Dennis Heimbigner
  Unidata

Ticket ID: KZW-910212