[netCDFJava #MQO-415619]: Efficiently serializing NetCDF in memory objects

I had a chance to revisit this issue and have been
thinking about how to expose it in netdf-Java.

As you did, the obvious place to expose the inmemory functionality
thru NetcdfFile.java. The problems is that NetcdfFile
already as a memory-based open based on using an inmemory RAF file.
Exporting a similar API specifically for netcdf-3/4 files seems
to me like a poor design decision.

One possibility is to have the NetcdfFile inmemory API check
to see if the file is being opened as a netcdf-3/4 file and then
try to use the Nc4Iosp class to bypass the inmemory RAF
and use the netcdf-c functionality directly. This seems a bit
of a hack.

Your given solution may turn out to be the best, even tho IMO
it kind of compilicates the NetcdfFile interface.

It might help if you would provide some design notes
on why you chose the solution you did.

> I push all my modification on "inmemory_2" branch on
>
> https://github.com/mlandiech/thredds.git
>

> You can find new capabilities test in
>
> cdm-test/src/test/java/ucar/nc2/jni/netcdf/TestNc4IospInMemoryDiskless.java
>

> Regards,

> LANDIECH Matthieu
>
> Tel : +33(0)5 62 88 75 64

=Dennis Heimbigner