[netCDF #YVO-179076]: NetCDF / nc_open / c++

We rely on various publically available libraries for our
utf-8 management (translation, normalizations, etc).

It does look like microsoft code is incorrectly treating you example
string, but I am not sure why. Is it possible to print out the two
file paths as bytes, that is in the format 0xab, 0xff,...?
That may give us a hint about what is going wrong.

One more thing, are you telling MS to use the correct encoding, i.e. UTF-8,
instead of, say, ISO-LATIN1?

> thks for answer.
>
> Yes, i'm using VS2015.
>
> Belwo you find the UniCode-String to be used (here with german Umlaut
>
>     L"D:\\Testumgebung\\Import\\liquid  äÜö.CDF"
>
> and then the converted UTF-8 by Microsoft:
>
>     "D:\\Testumgebung\\Import\\liquid  äÜö.CDF"
>
> Maybe this Conversion is not the one needed.
>
> Please, are there any example for converting Unicode to UTF-8 by Unidata
> and vice versa ?
>

> Thks a lot in advance
>
> Thomas
>

> Am 23.04.2018 um 19:03 schrieb Unidata netCDF Support:
> > You appear to be running under windows visual studio, correct?
> > The first thing I would do is to either print out the converted name,
> > or using the VS debugger, look at the utf8 bytes and see if they match
> > the name of the file you are trying to open.
> >

> >> pls, i hope you can help me.
> >>
> >> I'm trying to open NetCDF- Files using nc_open.
> >>
> >> Filenames are of type "wchar_t", so i have to translate them to UTF-8.
> >>
> >> Pls, ref to source below
> >>
> >> ==========
> >>
> >>      int size_needed = WideCharToMultiByte(CP_UTF8, 0, g_cOpen, -1,
> >> NULL, 0, NULL, NULL);
> >>      char *opener = new char[size_needed];
> >>      WideCharToMultiByte(CP_UTF8, 0, g_cOpen, -1, &opener[0],
> >> size_needed, NULL, NULL);
> >>
> >>      ret2=nc_open(opener,NC_NOWRITE,&ncid);
> >>
> >> ===========
> >>
> >> Once, the filename and/or path includes "Non-ASCII"- signs, nc_open
> >> returns 2 (can not find file)
> >>
> >> or 3 (canot find path).
> >>
> >> Is nc_open able to handle UTF8 ?
> >>
> >> Thks in advance
> >>
> >> Thomas Wälde-Nuber
> >>

> > =Dennis Heimbigner
> >    Unidata
> >

> > Ticket Details
> > ===================
> > Ticket ID: YVO-179076
> > Department: Support netCDF
> > NOTE: All email exchanges with Unidata User Support are recorded in the
> > Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through
> > the web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in
> > this way, you must let us know in each email you send to us.

=Dennis Heimbigner
  Unidata

Ticket ID: YVO-179076
Department: Support netCDF