[netCDFJava #ESI-333031]: Grib2 from German Weather Service : “No records found in dataset”

Greetings Jitka,

We currently do not handle unstructured grids in netCDF-Java. We have a
proposal awaiting review to fund the work to support unstructured grids, but
even if funded, it will be at least a years worth of work to get it up and
running.
This work will need to be done before attempting unstructured grids in GRIB, as
the GRIB code works at the level of netCDF-Java where coordinate systems need
to be fully understood, which is pretty high up in data netCDF-Java API.

Cheers,

Sean

> Dear NetCdf support team,
>
> We are attempting to import the global ICON weather forecasts provided by the
> German Weather Service. The forecasts are defined at an irregular grid. When
> opening the grib2 file using NetCDF , we get an error saying “No records
> found in dataset” (see below).   We are using NetCdf Java 4.6.3.  Panoply
> 4.8.9. shows the same message.
>
> Alternative products such as wgrib2 and degrib do acknowledge the presence of
> data (but are unable to probe this, either, due to the unknown grid
> definition).
>
> We were thinking that this error message possibly constitutes a bug. Would
> you agree? If so, is this something you would consider fixing?
>
> Sample files may be downloaded from
> https://opendata.dwd.de/weather/icon/global/grib/00/tot_prec/
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jitka Tacoma
> Deltares
>

> Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: No records found in dataset
> ICON_iko_single_level_elements_world_TOT_PREC_2018032606_010.grib
> at
> ucar.nc2.grib.collection.Grib2CollectionBuilder.makeGroups(Grib2CollectionBuilder.java:155)
> at
> ucar.nc2.grib.collection.GribCollectionBuilder.createMultipleRuntimeCollections(GribCollectionBuilder.java:150)
> at
> ucar.nc2.grib.collection.GribCollectionBuilder.createIndex(GribCollectionBuilder.java:138)
> at
> ucar.nc2.grib.collection.GribCdmIndex.openGribCollectionFromDataFile(GribCdmIndex.java:780)
> at
> ucar.nc2.grib.collection.GribCdmIndex.openGribCollectionFromDataFile(GribCdmIndex.java:764)
> at
> ucar.nc2.grib.collection.GribCdmIndex.openGribCollectionFromRaf(GribCdmIndex.java:734)
> at ucar.nc2.grib.collection.GribIosp.open(GribIosp.java:186)
> at ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile.<init>(NetcdfFile.java:1571)
> at ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile.open(NetcdfFile.java:846)
> at ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile.open(NetcdfFile.java:446)
> ... 39 more
>

> Jitka Tacoma

Ticket ID: ESI-333031
Department: Support netCDF Java