[netCDF #DQV-341880]: Compressing large sets of NetCDF data

I am not sure what can be done. You will probably need to
find a different compression algorithm. The HDF5 group
provides access to a variety of filters that you might
check out. The list is here:
https://support.hdfgroup.org/services/contributions.html#filters

> I have sets of model inputs/outputs as NetCDF totaling about 8 TB.  I have
> already compressed them using ncopy -d 2, but it isn't small enough.
>
> I had to delete the uncompressed NetCDFs as I ran the model, in order to
> not run out of space.  I tried using ncopy -d 9 with the already compressed
> output and it did not reduce the size significantly, or at all in some
> cases.
>
> I also tried to tar the NetCDF directory, but this is inconvenient because
> it took ~1.5 weeks to compress about 2 TB of data.
>
> What am I doing wrong or is there an easier way to compress these files so
> that they may be transferred and stored on a different server away from
> Cheyenne?
>
> Thank you,
>
> --
> *Danielle Tijerina*