[netCDF #ESJ-804142]: multi-dimensional arrays in netcdf-5

Hello Alex,

Thank you for reaching out; I was puzzled to see this question.  We have no
plans for netcdf-5, nor would be make changes to use GRIB-2 as a base.  Upon
further inspection, it appears that the particle you found is an old April
Fools day joke.  I will have our web team mark it as such. My sincere apologies
for the confusion!

-Ward

> Hello,
>
> I have across this post
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/blogs/developer/entry/netcdf_5_format_to_be.
> It states that "we are glad to announce that the next version of netCDF,
> which we call netCDF-5, will be based on the GRIB-2 format" and later it
> continues to "the GRIB-2 data model is an unordered collection of 2D
> data slices, instead of the much more complex multidimensional arrays
> from netCDF." We are using multi-dimensional arrays quite extensively.
> What are the plans for supporting multi-dimensional arrays in netcdf-5?
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Alex

Ticket ID: ESJ-804142
Department: Support netCDF