[netCDFJava #CRA-892492]: Using Java NetCDF With a Large HDF5 Database - Performance Questions

I have an experimental version of the netcdf-c library that improves the
metadata read performance. It needs testing. It should appear in the
next release plus 1 (probably called 4.5.2 or 4.6). I will try to
announce on the netcdf mailing list.

> The XML formatted text dump from the NCdumpW call resulted in a file that
> is 14.8 MB in size.  I do not how how that would boil down to the binary
> data in the header to the HDF5 database to know if that is the cause of
> the performance problems.
>
> -Creighton Donnald
> Johns Hopkins University
> Applied Physics Laboratory
>

> On 5/26/17, 12:53 PM, "Unidata netCDF Java Support"
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >Can you at least tell me the size (in characters) of the header (using
> >h5dump
> >or ncdump or NCdumpW)? A very large header can be partly responsible for
> >performance issues. The header is read once per file open. Your report
> >would seem consistent with the cost of reading the header in Java.
> >We rarely encounter really large headers so we have not optimized for
> >that case.
> >
> >I suspect, however, that your original thought was correct. Our
> >Java-native
> >HDF5 implementation is probably the problem. I have put it on our list of
> >issues to look at (see https://github.com/Unidata/thredds/issues/847)
> >but it may take a while.
> >
> >=Dennis Heimbigner
> >  Unidata
> >

> >Ticket Details
> >Ticket ID: CRA-892492
> >Department: Support netCDF Java
> >NOTE: All email exchanges with Unidata User Support are recorded in the
> >Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through
> >the web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in
> >this way, you must let us know in each email you send to us.

=Dennis Heimbigner
  Unidata