[netCDF #VXR-799587]: NCL to pull data from netCDF file

Hello Chris,

I am unfamiliar with NCL so I cannot help you specifically with your script; my
apologies, I would help if I could!  You might try looking at the NCL project
page to see if they have any support options you can use:

* https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/

The only alternative I can reasonably suggest is the netcdf4-python language,
but you clearly need help with an existing script and are not looking for a new
language to duplicate your efforts in.  Given this, I think contacting NCL
support will be your best bet.  Otherwise, if you wanted to supply some
representative netCDF files and your NCL script, I would see if I could figure
it out, but I would be starting from a place of less knowledge than you.

Thanks, I'm sorry I can't provide any specific help but I hope this information
is useful,

-Ward

> Good morning,
>
> I have what I thought would be a simple question, but after hours or
> searching I have been unable to find the answer and hope this is the
> appropriate venue to ask.
>
> I have a netCDF file with ~10000 lines of data.  Each line begins with a
> different 4-digit code, which is called stationName.  I want to find a
> specific stationName and pull a data point from that line; there are ~15
> different variables and the one I want to pull is windSpeedDD.  Then I want
> to loop this over several netCDF files.
>
> So far I am able to pull all of the netCDF files into a single file (File)
> using systemfunc.  I have code that does a similar thing with wrfout files,
> but instead of looking for a name header was looking for a lat-lon.  So it
> will not work as is and am not sure how to amend it for this case.
>
> With the file of combined netCDF files, I want to set the number associated
> with my stationName, XXXX, as a random variable, RV; I am told this is
> possible but have been unable to find the correct syntax.  Then I should be
> able to use WS = windSpeedDD(RV) to create an array of wind speed values over
> all of the netCDF files located in File
>
> Basically looking to confirm that this process is valid and will get the data
> I want into a single file.  Then the correct code/syntax to take the number
> associated with my stationName (XXXX) as a random variable (RV).  I hope that
> this is clear and makes sense.  I appreciate any assistance you are able to
> provide.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris Heney
> Intern | National Wind Technology Center
>
> National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
> 15013 Denver West Parkway | Golden, CO 80401
> address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden> |
> www.nrel.gov/wind<http://www.nrel.gov/wind>

Ticket ID: VXR-799587
Department: Support netCDF