[netCDFJava #GCR-931481]: Help regarding slow reading from and writing to netCDF3 files

Hi Daniel,

In NetCDF, multi-dimensional arrays are laid out in row-major order. For good
performance, it's crucial to operate on those arrays in a row-oriented manner.
I suspect you're accessing them in a column-oriented manner, which is the cause
of your trouble. This article [1] gives an excellent explanation of
column-major vs row-major ordering, and the associated performance
implications. I highly suggest you read the whole thing.

So, operate on the arrays in a row-oriented manner if possible. Sometimes, a
particular problem will require you do column-oriented access instead. In those
situations, there's not much you can do to improve performance, except to read
the entire array into memory, as I mentioned before.

Good luck,
Christian

[1] http://eli.thegreenplace.net/2015/memory-layout-of-multi-dimensional-arrays

Ticket ID: GCR-931481