[Staging #BZZ-884134]: netcdf-Perl configure error(s)

Scott,

The netCDF-Perl package is deprecated because it's based on netCDF version 2
and because there are better alternatives.

It appears that the m4(1) macros in the file "configure.in" (e.g.,
UC_INIT_NOPORT()) aren't being expanded by autoconf(1). I don't know why.

If you truly want to use this package, then have you tried installing
from the distribution rather than from the repository? The distribution
is available at <ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf-perl/>.

> I am unfortunately trying to install netcdf-Perl (Version 1.2.4), which
> I obtained here (https://github.com/Unidata/netCDF-Perl). I cannot
> execute the configure file generated by autoconf because a syntax error
> is thrown.
>
> The configure file generated by autoconf and config.log are attached.
> Also included is the configure.in file that came with the code I
> downloaded, and the CUSTOMIZE file that I have edited. I'm not
> experienced with generating my own configure file, so perhaps something
> simple is the problem. I know I'm using the correct shell though. The
> error is thrown at Line 1663, and nothing else happens except for
> generation of config.log:
>
> configure: line 1663: syntax error near unexpected token `prefix=/usr/local'
> configure: line 1663: `prefix=/usr/local'
>
> Even if I delete this line just to see what happens, whatever shows up
> after UC_INIT_NOPORT() on Line 1661 throws a similar error.
>
> Here is the output from uname -a: Linux pontos 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP
> Debian 3.16.36-1+deb8u1 (2016-09-03) x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> "type cc" gives me /usr/bin/cc.
>
> I've exhausted the limited extent of my knowledge to diagnose this
> problem. Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: BZZ-884134