[netCDF #DUY-548170]: Netcdf library installation for GEOS-Chem

Hello Stefanie,

I am not familiar with the GEOS-Chem-Libraries pack, so you may need to contact
the maintainer for support.  I'll be happy to provide what insight I can,
however.

The error message you are observing regarding the hdf5 mismatch is indicative
of the most likely problem.  It appears that you have two versions of the
library installed on your system, hdf5 1.8.8 and hdf5 1.8.11.  The headers
being used are 1.8.11 and almost certainly contain symbols not contained in the
1.8.8 library; as a result, when the tests run they are not able to properly
use the 1.8.8 runtime library.  It is also worth noting that hdf5 1.8.8 is not
compatible with netCDF, even if it had the correct headers.  I believe the
minimum supported version at this point (netCDF 4.2, which is also quite old)
is either 1.8.9 or 1.8.11.

I hope this information helps, I'm sorry I can't provide a more directly useful
solution.

Have a great day,

-Ward

> Dear Support team,
>
> I am trying to get the netcdf libraries for GEOS-Chem installed on our
> system following the instructions from:
>
> http://wiki.seas.harvard.edu/geos-chem/index.php/Installing_libraries_for_GEOS-Chem
>
> However, as we do not have the ifort compiler nor the pgi compiler I had to
> do some changes to the make file. I'll try to explain what I did below. But
> for your information I'm using the gfortran compiler and the gcc c-compiler.
>
> First I downloaded the GEOS-Chem-Libraries installer package using git. As
> this package didn't seem to work for the gfortran compiler, I included some
> settings for gfortran compiler in the make file that is located under
> 'src/GNUMakefile'.
>
> However, using now the command:
>
> make COMPILER=gfortran PREFIX=/home/geoschem/netCDF GCC=yes
>
> Returns an error message. The log file for this run is attached to this
> email.
>
> Interestingly though is if I run the install.sh file (under
> geos-chem-libraries), it returns no error message and everything seems to
> run through. Output seems to be written to:
> geos-chem-libraries/opt/gfortran/
>
> There are no hdf files however in any of those output directories.
>
> Do you have any idea what the problem could be that is causing the error
> message? It comes with a warning that 'hdf version mismatch' but I'm not
> convinced that this is causing the error when reading those 3 files. Any
> help/advice would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Best wishes,
> Stefanie