[netCDF #FHI-783210]: netcdf building and linking to gfortran

Hello Adam,

To answer in reverse order, there are flags and options you *can* set when
building netCDF, but whether or not you *need* to depends on what you are
trying to do.  You can find information related to building netCDF-C at
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/getting_and_building_netcdf.html.
  You can also (for netCDF-C and netCDF-Fortran) see what options are available
via `./configure --help`.

You will need to install netCDF-C before installing netCDF-Fortran;
netCDF-Fortran provides a fortran interface to netCDF-C, and is not a complete
re-implementation of netCDF in Fortran.

Regarding libphypluto.a, wstats.o and the the other compilations errors you
reference; I'm not sure what libphypluto is, or what the linker means about the
library having being compiled in "deterministic mode".  I will note that it is
a warning, and not an error, and so may be ignored if you determine it is safe
to do so.  The final error you report, regarding 'main', is typical of there
being an error in the build process but the information you provide is not
indicative of an error, just a warning.

I'm sorry I can't provide more immediate help,

-Ward

> Full Name: Adam Jacobs
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version:
> Operating System: ubuntu
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: I am having problems linking netcdf library to
> gfortran compiler. When compiling the model, the make file not remade. The
> error/comment I get for all object files is (1 example),
>
> >>make: Warning: Archive
> >>'/home/adam/pluto/libo/LINUX64fboundscheckffpetrapinvalid,zero,overflowg3Wall_32_24_25_t7_reg_17_23_pluto/libphypluto.a'
> >> seems to have been created in deterministic mode. 'wstats.o' will always
> >>be updated. Please consider passing the U flag to ar to avoid the problem.
>
> Then there is a last error,
>
> >>make: Target 'main' not remade because of errors.
>
> After looking into this I became more confused. Questions I have include, how
> do I know whether the netcdf library is built properly and everything is
> located where it needs to be? Do I need netcdf-c as well as a netcdf version
> for fortran? Are there certain flags and options I need to set while
> configuring netcdf? If I did everything properly, how do I use the U flag
> with ar? I looked up the help page on ar and there are no examples of
> actually using this flag in the context of a main program creating object
> files etc.
>
> Thank you for your time and consideration.

Ticket ID: FHI-783210
Department: Support netCDF