[netCDF #SUD-749499]: NetCDF4 vs. HDF EOS2

Hello,

I'm not very familiar with HDF EOS2, but I would think it should be ok to
compare the datasets, assuming they contain comparable data (you wouldn't be
asking this question if they didn't).  NetCDF and HDF are just storage formats;
the data within is held in place and read by the appropriate software (python,
ArcGIS, etc).  For NetCDF, at least, I can say that there is no pre/post
processing of data when stored, at the netCDF layer.  Any transformations or
shift would potentially come from the software writing the data.  I assume the
same is true of HDF EOS2; the data stored within is what was written by other
software.  It is analogous to comparing data from two files, one
comma-delimited and one tab-delimited; they will need to be read differently
but the data contained therein should be fine to compare.

I hope this answers your question, have a great day!

-Ward

> I am wondering if you have any resources about HDF EOS2 and its
> similarities/differences to NetCDF4.
>
> I have one dataset in NetCDF4 and one in HDF EOS2.
>
> I am wondering if it is okay to compare the datasets?
>
> Are there shifts in the geolocation of the data?
>
> Can both perform the same when used with ArcGIS, Panoply, HDFView,
> Python etc?
>
> If you can think of any other items to bring to my attention, that would
> be great too!
>
> I appreciate the help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul Moth