[netCDF #QNI-408934]: Can't find or link to the z library

Hello,

If you can supply the config.log generated when you run `configure`, that will
be the easiest way for us to figure out what's going on; it will provide
specific information regarding the failure to find the zlib library.

Regarding your final question, you can install the development libraries using
the Ubuntu package manager, `apt-get`; I'm not sure what the names of the
packages are specifially, you but you should be able to use `apt-cache search
zlib`, `apt-cache search hdf5` to find the relevant packages.  This may be
easier than building and installing the packages yourself.

Thanks, once you provide the config.log I will take a look and see if I can
figure out what exactly is causing the failure.

Thanks!

-Ward

> Full Name: Mathew Biddle
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version:
> Operating System: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: I'm having trouble linking the z library when
> building netCDF on a vanilla install of Ubuntu 16.04. For the purposes of my
> use, I need to have netcdf4 with groups available.
>
> I configured the zlibrary using:
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/zlib.1.2.8
>
> Then, configured hdf5 library using:
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/hdf5.1.8.13 --enable-fortran --enable cxx
> --with-zlib=/usr/local/zlib.1.2.8
> which, by the way, throws out a lot of warning and note messages during the
> build...
>
> Then, tried to configure netcdf using:
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/netcdf.4.3.2
>
> But, I get the following error:
> configure: error: Can't find or link to the z library.
>
> I've set my environment variables in .bashrc and source the file before each
> ./configure execution. Below are the netCDF related environment variables.
> ~$ printenv | grep netcdf
> LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/hdf5.1.8.13/lib -L/usr/local/zlib.1.2.8/lib
> -L/usr/local/netcdf.4.4.1/lib
> CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/hdf5.1.8.13/include -I/usr/local/zlib.1.2.8/include
> -I/usr/local/netcdf.4.4.1/include
> NETCDF_INCDIR=/usr/local/netcdf.4.4.1/include
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/hdf5.1.8.13/lib /usr/local/zlib.1.2.8/lib
> /usr/local/netcdf.4.4.1/lib
> zlib=/usr/local/zlib.1.2.8
> NETCDF_LIBDIR=/usr/local/netcdf.4.4.1/lib
> HDF5=/usr/local/hdf5.1.8.13
> NETCDF=/usr/local/netcdf.4.4.1/
> NETCDF4_DIR=/usr/local/netcdf.4.4.1
>
> Any ideas as to what I'm missing here? All the searching I've done goes back
> to setting the wrong LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but I think I've set it right.
>
> Maybe, for the sake of keeping my hair, is there a simple way to install all
> the necessary netCDF libraries without having to go through the configuration
> of zlib, hdf5, netcdf, and netcdf-fortran?

Ticket ID: QNI-408934
Department: Support netCDF