[netCDF #VRW-533436]: About translating netCDF

Hello,

The netCDF file can be printed to ASCII format using the command-line tools
bundled with netCDF, such as `ncdump`.  This is fairly rudimentary, however;
you might also explore the 3rd-party NCO toolkit for advanced command-line
utilities (http://nco.sourceforge.net/).  We also maintain a page of 3rd party
software for working with netCDF; these packages are not maintained by Unidata,
but there are both free and commercial software utilities that may provide the
functionality you need:

* http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/software.html

If this is a task which will be performed frequently, you might also be
interested in the "Rosetta" package.  Rosetta is a server-side package used for
converting various data formats to ASCII, including netCDF.  From the Rosetta
project page (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/rosetta/docs/):

"The Unidata Data Transformation Tool, Rosetta, is a web-based service that
provides an easy, wizard-based interface for data collectors to transform their
datalogger generated ASCII output into Climate and Forecast (CF) compliant
netCDF files, complete with metadata describing what data are contained in the
file, the instruments used to collect the data, and other critical information
that otherwise may be lost in one of many dreaded README files. However, with
the understanding that the observational community appreciates the ease of use
of ASCII files, methods for transforming the netCDF back into a user defined
CSV or spreadsheet formats are also built-in. We anticipate that Rosetta and
the associated services will be of value to a broader community users who have
similar needs for transforming the data they have collected or stored in
non-standard formats."

Using Rosetta would require installing and running your own Rosetta server, but
perhaps this would be worthwhile depending on your use case.

I hope this information helps,

-Ward

> Dear support team,
> I can see lot of useful data in netCDF format. However, I dont know how to
> translate this data to ASCII format. Also, I am unable to get any tips on
> how to separate each file from a netcdf stack.
>
> Will it be possible for you to guide me through this. Or can please share
> some link having detailed procedure for the same. I will be obliged with
> your help.
>
> Awaiting your reply,
>
> Thanking you,
>
> Regards,