[netCDF #BUX-356656]: NetCDF3 versus NetCDF4 types

> Does it mean that the things with asterisks are for netcdf4 only?
> If so, should NC_STRING have an asterisk? How about Int64?
In looking at the documentation
(http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/data_type.html)
those two types do have an asterisk. Please elaborate.

> If I make a ‘classic’ netCDF4 file, I’m limited to the NetCDF3 types,
> correct? (i.e., the ones with asterisks are not all allowed in a classic
> model netCDF4 file)?
Correct, a netcdf-4 classic file is intended to act like
a netcdf-3 file except that the underlying implementation is
netcdf-4 (hdf5).

> What about reading NC_USHORT using Java netCDF?
> Should I use isSigned() and just hack the value?
Basically, yes.

=Dennis Heimbigner
  Unidata

Ticket ID: BUX-356656