[netCDF #ISQ-236686]: configure script for netcdf-fortran package does not support netcdf4 nicely

Hi Dr. Seiß,

> yesterday and today we tried to install the newest release of the netcdf
> libraries C and FORTRAN on our HPC ( XEON procesors, linux x86_64, Intel
> Compiler Collection Version 16 ).
>
> There were so far no problems with configuring the C library because it did
> as with our old 4.1.2 Version.
>

> Then we configured the 4.4.2 Version of FORTRAN interfaces, but there was no
> chance to use –enable-netcdf4. It gave a warning about unknown option.

The 4.4.2. version of the Fortran configure script is designed to detect
whether the netCDF C library supports netCDF-4 and build the Fortran API
appropriately.

That's the way it works for us on Linux and OSX platforms, but we don't have an
HPUX platform on which to test it.

For that to work, you need to specify where the netCDF-C library was installed
exactly as these instructions specify:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/building_netcdf_fortran.html

If you follow those instructions and it doesn't work for HPUX, we'd like to
know about it.

> Therefor we got the netcdf3 Version of the Interface only.
>

> I changed no the configure script in the following part:
>

> #test "x$ac_cv_func_oc_open" = xyes && nc_has_dap=yes || nc_has_dap=no
>
> # Whether we build/test some functionality depends on what we found in
>
> # the C library.
>
> #nc_build_v2=$ac_cv_func_nccreate
>
> #nc_build_v4=$ac_cv_func_nc_def_opaque
>
> nc_build_v2=no
>
> #
>
> # Hello Admin!
>
> # This was manually set to yes to build netcdf4 correctly!!!
>
> #nc_build_v4=no
>
> nc_build_v4=yes
>
> nc_has_logging=no
>
> nc_has_dap=no
>
> nc_has_parallel=no
>

> I was not very happy about the fact that I didn’t find the flag steering it
> from outside, but I knew that the C-library supports netcdf4 and so I was
> sure that that could be the simplest solution.
>

> So if you know another way, please let me know it.
>

> But if there is no way to get the script steered from outside, I hope we get
> it fixed in the new release. I would have been done it already, but I’m not
> very familiar with this configure framework L.
>
> The good news: after my change all interfaces have been built correctly!

That's great, congratulations, but we would like to know whether it also works
the way we have documented and tested it on other platforms.

> Best regards,
>

> Dr. Guntram Seiß
>
> Bundesanstalt für Wasserbau
>
> Dienststelle Hamburg