[netCDF #EQK-707978]: Problem configuring the netCDF FORTRAN 4.4.2 library with the Lahey FORTRAN L8.10b compiler

Hi Jim,

> I am trying to configure the netCDF FORTRAN 4.4.2 libraries using the
> Lahey/Fujitsu FORTRAN L8.10b (lf95) compiler and it is failing. It
> configures, builds, and installs fine with gfortran, but I am required to
> use lf95 for my production application.
>
> I tried it without any special flags, with different combinations of listed
> option arguments, and with a non-standard argument that I found from
> examining the configure script, but there was eventual failure in all cases .

I forwarded your question to Richard Weed, the developer of the F2003 and
F2008 extensions, and here's what he said:

  Took a look at the Lahey web site. It appears to be out
  of date. They have two products. One is a reworking
  of gfortran, the other is the Fujitsu compiler. As
  best as I can make out from the info on the web site
  the Fujitsu compiler does not support ISO_C_BINDING
  (the gfortran is 4.9 so it does) so the question is why
   did the configure scripts think that it does support F2003.
   They do have a trial version you can download for both Linux and Windows.

We don't have a Lahey compiler, but might be able to
figure out what's going on by downloading a trial version,
but I can't commit to getting that done before I officially
retire at the end of this month ...

It may be possible to just hard-wire the ISO_C_BINDING
test in the configure script (or the configure.in input from
which it's generated by autoconf) to return false for F2003
support for just the Fujitsu compiler, as a workaround for
whatever the problem with the test is.

--Russ

Ticket ID: EQK-707978
Department: Support netCDF