[netCDF #PSA-339289]: netCDF 4.3.3 build problem....

Hi Michael,

Another user has asked about the same problem you encountered building
netCDF for Solaris.

Did you ever come up with a workaround or fix that let you compile, check, and
install netCDF-4.3.3 on Solaris 9? Or did you upgrade and succeed that way?

I'm asking, because I would be able to either pass on whatever solution you came
up with, or incorporate any workaround you found into our next release, if all
our
tests then passed on other platforms.

--Russ

> Michael,
>
> Solaris 9 (SunOS 2.9) is a pretty old platform that doesn't incorporate
> some of the C99 portability that's available in the stdint.h header file,
> for example, but some of the netCDF C library depends on integer
> type definitions from stdint.h. We had a Solaris 10 platform here on
> which we tested netCDF-4, but I don't think we tested on Solaris 9.
>
> I see we have a file libsrc/pstdint.h that's supposed to provide some
> of the portability macros provided by C99's stdint.h, but it's not
> completely portable, and that seems to be the cause of the compile
> problems you're seeing.
>
> We no longer have a Solaris platform available for testing, and even if
> we did, it wouldn't be that old. Is it possible to use the fact that it won't
> even compile the netCDF library as a justification to upgrade it to a more
> recent version of Solaris? That's all I can recommend at this point, unless
> you want to do some debugging, find out exactly which portability macros
> stdint.h are needed, and find out how they should be defined for your
> Solaris system ...
>
> Or maybe you can get a more recent version of SunStudio-11 that runs on
> Solaris 9 from Oracle, and try the C compiler that comes with that.
>
> --Russ
>
> > we seem to fail building netCDF 4.3.3 on our Solaris computer. Attached an
> > e-mail with the details.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Michael Schick (EUMETSAT)
> >
> > Any email message from EUMETSAT is sent in good faith but shall neither be
> > binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by EUMETSAT, except
> > where provided for in a written agreement or contract or if explicitly
> > stated in the email. Please note that any views or opinions presented in
> > this email are solely those of the sender and do not necessarily represent
> > those of EUMETSAT. This message and any attachments are intended for the
> > sole use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and privileged
> > information. Any unauthorised use, disclosure, dissemination or
> > distribution (in whole or in part) of its contents is not permitted. If you
> > received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete it from
> > your system.
> >
> Russ Rew                                         UCAR Unidata Program
> address@hidden                      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

Ticket ID: PSA-339289
Department: Support netCDF