[netCDF #VTI-484586]: configure for netcdf 4.3.3.1 can't find hdf5dll and exits

> Hey Russ,
>
> One more time - on a current Linux x86_64 OS:
>
> My environment is listed in the file "my_environment.txt"
> Netcdf's configure is looking for the file hdf5dll which does not exist - see
> "look_for_hdf5dll.txt"

Yes, and the configure file even looks for that file in a *successful* build.
There are many error messages in the output from configure, because
configure works by probing the development environment to find out
how to build the software.

My successful build on linux (or osx) also contains, in config.log,
the message:

    configure:16750: gcc -o conftest -g3 -O0 -fno-inline
-I/Users/russ/installs/h5-1814/include -L/Users/russ/installs/h5-1814/lib
conftest.c -lhdf5dll  -ldl -lm -lz -lcurl  >&5
    ld: library not found for -lhdf5dll

but then a few lines later in config.log it succeeds in finding
the hdf5 function it's looking for and emits the message:

    configure:16750: gcc -o conftest -g3 -O0 -fno-inline
-I/Users/russ/installs/h5-1814/include -L/Users/russ/installs/h5-1814/lib
conftest.c -lhdf5  -ldl -lm -lz -lcurl  >&5
    configure:16750: $? = 0
    configure:16767: result: -lhdf5

because now the compiler is invoked with a "-L" option testing if
the function is where the LDFLAGS environment variable specifies.

But in your case, the next invocation of cc looking for a function in
the hdf5 library doesn't have a "-L" option for specifying where you
installed HDF5, so the library is not found:

    configure:16765: cc -o conftest -mtune=native -m64 -DNDEBUG -DpgiFortran
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
-I/opt/home/george/libs/hdf5-1.8.13/include -I/opt/home/george/libs/zlib-1.2.8/
-I/opt/home/george/libs/curl-7.26.0/lib/  conftest.c -lhdf5  -ldl -lm -lz  >&5
    /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.8/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld:
cannot find -lhdf5
    configure:16765: $? = 1

Output of the environment in config.log also indicates the environment
variable LDFLAGS is unset for configure:

    LDFLAGS=''

I suspect you are setting LDFLAGS as a shell variable in a separate shell
command before invoking the configure command, rather than on the
same line as the configure command (as is shown in the installation
instructions). If you do it that way, you have to export each needed
environment variable using an explicit "export" command, in order for
its value to be available in subshells in which shell scripts like configure
are run.

So try again, either setting the environment variables that are needed on
the same line as the configure line (making their values available inside
the configure script), or run an export command for the variables. We
don't recommend the latter way of setting the variables, because then
their values persist after you have built netCDF, and that might cause
problems with subsequent builds of other software.

I note that you must have exported CPPFLAGS, because it is shown in
the config.log file with the same value as in your "my_environment.txt"
file, but the LDFLAGS variable is not.  So the information in CPPFLAGS
is getting used in the compiles, but no information from the unexported
LDFLAGS is available in the configure script.

--Russ

Ticket ID: VTI-484586
Department: Support netCDF