[netCDF #SRG-700835]: Possible regression from NETCDF3-->NETCDF4

Hi Jeremy,

> Filed on github, along with a link to a repro:
> https://github.com/Unidata/netcdf-c/issues/116

Thanks for the comprehensive test. I can reproduce the
problem here on our latest developer snapshot.

There is another workaround than just not creating dimensions and variables
with the same name that aren't coordinate variables. My tests show that if
the order of the operations is changed to:

  1. create the dimensions A and B
  2. create the variables A[B] and B[A],
  3. write data to the variables

then this works fine with netCDF-4, as can be demonstrated with the 10-line
file appended below and the use of ncgen to create the netCDF-4 file:

$ cat names.cdl
netcdf names {
dimensions:
  A = 10;
  B = 10;
variables:
  int A(B);
  int B(A);
data:
  A = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9;
  B=  0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9;
}

$ ncgen -b -k4 names.cdl; ncdump -k names.nc
netCDF-4 classic model

Nevertheless, doing things in a different order should still work.

Thanks for reporting the bug!

--Russ

Ticket ID: SRG-700835
Department: Support netCDF