[netCDF #QKC-988002]: wgrib2 install failing on ubuntu

Hello Brendan,

Version 3.6.3 is pretty old; I'm not sure why it's being distributed, unless it
is easier to distribute the legacy software instead of packaging the current
netcdf-c and netcdf-fortran libraries.  If there is a test-suite.log file being
generated I'd be happy to take a look at it and see if it says specifically
what the problem is, but unless it is an issue with the computing environment
there isn't likely much that can be done at this point.  WGrib2 is maintained
by the
NWS Climate Prediction Center, you might contact them from their webpage,
http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/wesley/wgrib2/, to see if they have any
insight into this.

I'm sorry I can't provide more direct help, but hopefully the test-suite.log
file will reveal something useful.  Thanks!

-Ward

> Good morning,
>
> I've been trying to install the latest wgrib2 on ubuntu all weekend, but
> cannot get it to work. I do have version "wgrib2 v0.1.9.4 8/2011" working,
> but need 2.0.1 as I'm getting an error with doing work with newer grib2
> files.
>
> I'm following these steps here:
> Compiling wgrib2 is easy on a linux system.
>
> 1) Download ftp://ftp.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wd51we/wgrib2/wgrib2.tgz
> 2) untar wgrib2.tgz:  tar -xzvf wgrib2.tgz   (use gnu tar)
> 3) cd to main directory:  cd grib2
> 4) set the C compiler to use:  export CC=gcc (bash)
> 5) set the fortran compiler to use:  export FC=gfortran (bash)
> 6) compile: make  (must use gnu make)
> 7) find executable in wgrib2/wgrib2
> note: you may have to install gcc and gfortran
>

> But I get:
> *** testing names with file tst_names.nc...
> *** switching to netCDF classic format...ok.
> *** switching to netCDF 64-bit offset format...ok.
> *** Tests successful!
> PASS: tst_names
> 1 of 5 tests failed
> Please report to address@hidden
> make[3]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/bwgrb/grib2/netcdf-3.6.3/nc_test'
> make[2]: *** [check-am] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/bwgrb/grib2/netcdf-3.6.3/nc_test'
> make[1]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/bwgrb/grib2/netcdf-3.6.3'
> make: *** [/bwgrb/grib2/lib/libnetcdf.a] Error 2
> $~/bwgrb/grib2# wgrib2/wgrib2 -config
> -bash: wgrib2/wgrib2: No such file or directory
>
> It seems like first and foremost it should be trying to use netcdf 4 and
> not 3.6.3, but this is coming down with latest wgrib2 download. Beyond
> that, I'm totally stumped.
>
> Any help would be great!
>
> Thanks,
> Brendan