[netCDFJava #ETS-773531]: ToolsUI JNLP Changes

Nathan,

With regards to the jnlp itself, I think it might be best to start with the
ones we provide at http://thredds.ucar.edu If you go there and drill down to a
dataset, at the bottom of the html catalog, there are links to viewers, which
includes a generated jnlp file for that particular dataset. For instance, here:

http://thredds.ucar.edu/thredds/view/ToolsUI.jnlp?catalog=http://thredds.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/grib/NCEP/GFS/Global_0p5deg/latest.xml&dataset=grib/NCEP/GFS/Global_0p5deg/GFS_Global_0p5deg_20150121_1200.grib2/GC

That JNLP file should give you a good idea of the format of the arguments. Now,
having said that, the command-line argument handling for ToolsUI has been
broken for some time. This will be fixed in the upcoming (next week-ish) 4.5.4
release.

I'm able to reproduce your OSX problems here and I'll see if anyone has any
ideas here.

Ryan

> Greetings,
>
> Apparently the ToolsUI deployment has changed again, and I am trying to
> (re)build my JNLP template so that it works with the new arrangement. I
> currently have this:
>
> <jnlp spec="1.0+"
> codebase="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/thredds/current/netcdf-java/webstart";>
> <information>
> <title>NetCDF Tools UI</title>
> <vendor>Unidata</vendor>
> <homepage href="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/"/>
> <description kind="short">GUI interface to netCDF-Java / Common Data
> Model</description>
> <icon href="nc.gif"/>
> <offline-allowed/>
> </information>
>
> <security>
> <all-permissions/>
> </security>
>
> <resources>
> <j2se version="1.7+" max-heap-size="1024m"/>
> <jar href="netcdfUI.jar"/>
> <extension name="netcdfUI Extra" href="netCDFtoolsExtraJars.jnlp"/>
> </resources>
>
> <application-desc main-class="ucar.nc2.ui.ToolsUI">
> <argument>{catalogURL}#{datasetID}</argument>
> </application-desc>
> </jnlp>
>

> Which works up to a point. I have two fundamental problems:
>

> 1) What is the correct syntax for the <argument>?
> {catalogURL}: The catalogURL should be the THREDDS catalog URL for the
> collection that contains the candidate dataset.
> {datasetID}: What exactly is this? I have been using the top level ID for the
> resource.
>
> My example:
>
> For the dataset URL:
> http://localhost:8080/opendap/hyrax/data/nc/coads_climatology.nc
>
> {catalogURL}: http://localhost:8080/opendap/hyrax/data/nc/catalog.xml
> {datasetID}: /opendap/hyrax/data/nc/coads_climatology.nc
>
> This no longer works. Nor does
> {datasetID}: data/nc/coads_climatology.nc
> {datasetID}: coads_climatology.nc
>

> 2) Security: Java 7 & 8 on my OS-X system is giving me fits because the
> access URL for the codebase is not https and apparently the signing keys
> that got used are expired (or maybe non-existent?) That makes using
> ToolsUI and major pain for users. Maybe you all could address this at
> your end?
>
> I could really use some help here....
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nathan
>
> = = =
> Nathan Potter                        ndp at opendap.org
> OPeNDAP, Inc.                        +1.541.231.3317

Ticket ID: ETS-773531
Department: Support netCDF Java