[netCDF #DQY-396981]: Installing NetCDF for Fortran in Visual Studio

Hello Sarah,

I'm afraid we don't provide official netcdf-fortran support for modern Visual
Studio installs, yet (although we are hoping to have that soon).  The
installers available from our webpage contain the  netcdf-c libraries, without
fortran support.

What you have described sounds correct, although the precompiled netcdf-c
libraries were built using MSVC 2010; I do not know for sure that they are
compatible with MSVC 2013.  It may also be the case that the compiler cannot
find the dependencies distributed with the netcdf-c install; when you ran the
installer, you will find a folder labeled 'deps' in the same location as the
other netcdf files.  Inside this folder are various .dll/.lib files which
netcdf-c is dependent upon.  You may need to specify this directory under
Linker: General: Additional Library directories.

I hope this helps,

-Ward

> Hello,
>
> I have a very basic question about how to install NetCDF for use with Fortran
> in Visual Studio 2013. When I try to compile in Visual Studio, I get the
> following error message: "Error #11018: Cannot open netcdf.lib". I do have
> the path to the lib folder specified in Visual Studio under Property Pages:
> Linker: General: Additional Library Directories, and netcdf.lib is specified
> in Property Pages: Linker: Input: Additional Dependencies. I assume I'm
> missing some critical step related to netcdf.lib, but I have no idea what it
> is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Sarah Praskievicz, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Geography
> University of Alabama