[netCDF #NRE-269426]: ncdump -x with netCDF4 files

Meg,

> Thanks for your responses to my email.
>
> When I ran the ncdump -k on one of our netCDF4 files, the response was just
> "netCDF-4." Does this mean it's the enhanced model, and it would say
> "classic" otherwise? Or is it the other way around?

It's the other way around.  The outputs from ncdump -k are one of these
four strings:

  classic
  64-bit offset
  netCDF-4
  netCDF-4 classic model

The "-x" option works to specify NcML output for all but the third of
those format variants, "netCDF-4".

> I will pass on the information about the java netCDF library to the NOAA
> people who run our CLASS archive. They were the ones who were originally
> asking about this, and they need to develop code to extract the NcML from
> netCDF4 files. So this may be very useful for them.

--Russ

> address@hidden> wrote:
> >

> > Margaret Tilton - NOAA Affiliate,
> >
> > Your Ticket has been received, and a Unidata staff member will review it
> > and reply accordingly. Listed below are details of this new Ticket. Please
> > make sure the Ticket ID remains in the Subject: line on all correspondence
> > related to this Ticket.
> >
> >     Ticket ID: NRE-269426
> >     Subject: ncdump -x with netCDF4 files
> >     Department: Support netCDF
> >

> > The NetCDF libraries are developed at the Unidata Program Center,
> > in Boulder, Colorado, funded primarily by the National Science Foundation.
> >
> > All support requests are handled by the development team. No dedicated
> > support staff are funded at this time. For this reason we cannot guarantee
> > response times, nor that we can resolve every support issue, although we
> > do our best to respond within 72 hours.
> >
> > It is in the nature of support requests that the same question is asked
> > many
> > times. We urge you to search the support archives for material relating to
> > your support request:
> >
> > http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/search.jsp?support&netcdf
> >
> > If you are having trouble building netCDF, please take a look at the
> > "Building NetCDF" page:
> >
> > http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/building.html
> >
> > or the (unfortunately somewhat out-of-date) NetCDF Build Troubleshooter
> > page:
> >
> > http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/troubleshoot.html
> >
> > Windows users should see the FAQ list:
> >
> > http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/faq.html#windows_netcdf4_2
> >
> > Complete documentation (including a tutorial, and sample programs in C,
> > Fortran,
> > Java, and other programming languages) can be found on the netCDF
> > Documentation page:
> >
> > http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/
> > http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/examples/programs/
> >
> > If you resolve your issue through one of these methods, please send a
> > reply to
> > this email, letting us know that you no longer need support. This will help
> > us spend more time on netCDF development.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Unidata User Support
> >

> --
> Margaret Tilton
> Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at
> University of Colorado at Boulder and
> NOAA National Geophysical Data Center, Solar and Terrestrial Physics
> Division
> 325 Broadway, E/GC2
> Boulder, Colorado 80305
> 303-497-6223