[netCDF #XXN-580796]: make check fails

Hi Marco,

> I'm trying to build netcdf-fortran-4.4.1 on iMac (OS X 10.10.)
> with gcc49. I followed the instructions with static libraries, all
> placed under
>
> /Users/Marco/wrf/gcc/lib
>
> I set the following variables
>
> DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Users/Marco/wrf/gcc/lib:/Users/Marco/wrf/gcc/lib:${DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH}
> CPPFLAGS="-I/Users/Marco/wrf/gcc/include -I/Users/Marco/wrf/gcc/include"
> LDFLAGS="-L/Users/Marco/wrf/gcc/lib -L/Users/Marco/wrf/gcc/lib"
> LIBS="-lnetcdf -lhdf5_hl -lhdf5 -lz -lcurl"
>
> and configured with
>
> ./configure --disable-shared --prefix=/Users/Marco/wrf/gcc
>
> (config.log ist attached)
>
> followed by make check which ended with
>

> "_nc_strerror", referenced from:
> _nf_strerror_ in libnetcdff.a(nf_misc.o)
> "_nc_sync", referenced from:
> _nf_sync_ in libnetcdff.a(nf_control.o)
> make[2]: *** [nf_test] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [check-am] Error 2
> make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1
>

> (make_check.log ist attached)
>
> Do you have a idea how to fix this problem?

It looks like the configure script did not detect that you had set
the CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS, or LIBS environment variables before you
ran it.  This could happen if you ran ./configure in a different
shell from the one in which you set the environment variables, or
as a different user.  One way to make sure the configure script gets
the environment variable values you set is to either set them on the
same command line preceding ./configure or even to set them as
arguments to configure.

You can see from config.log that the variables were not set in the
shell in which configure was invoked by the following lines:

  $ grep CPPFLAGS config.log
  ac_cv_env_CPPFLAGS_set=
  ac_cv_env_CPPFLAGS_value=
  CPPFLAGS=''

and similarly for the other environment variables.

--Russ

Ticket ID: XXN-580796
Department: Support netCDF