[netCDFJava #TOX-206476]: Problems converting GEMPAK point (METAR) data to a usable NetCDF file

Hi Kevin,

netcdf-java can read the example file you sent without any issues.
Unfortunately, we do not yet have
a write method that can be used from the command line yet for point data, but
it is on our todo list
soon - we'll take a look after our THREDDS workshop is finished (the workshop
is next week).

I'll let you know when we have something ready to go.

Sean

> Hi,
>
> We are using the netcdf-java library to convert GEMPAK METAR data into
> NetCDF.  While the conversion program runs without error, the resulting
> NetCDF file is very small and basically does not have any of the various
> station parameters in there.
>
> I've attached a sample GEMPAK surface data file, which only has US stations
> in there for brevity.
>
> The command line we use is this:
>

> java -Xmx1G -classpath netcdfAll-4.5.jar ucar.nc2.dataset.NetcdfDataset -in
> 141002_mtr_us.gem -out 141002_mtr_us.nc
>

> I've also tried it with the 4.3 version of netcdf-java.
>

> I've attached the input GEMPAK file and the resulting output NetCDF file.
>

> Is there anything different we have to do for point data, versus gridded data
> when converting GEMPAK files? Since IDV can display GEMPAK METAR files, it
> would seem that the capability for netcdf-java to understand and convert this
> type of data exists.
>

> Thanks for any insight ...
>

> --Kevin

> Kevin Tyle, Systems Administrator
> Dept. of Atmospheric & Environmental Sciences
> University at Albany
> Earth Science 235, 1400 Washington Avenue
> Albany, NY 12222
> Email: address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden>
> Phone: 518-442-4578

Ticket ID: TOX-206476