[netCDF #BFT-227872]: Mac OS 10.9 netcdf-4.1.3 failed tests

Colin,

I actually did find a way to build 4.1.3 on modern OSX systems, but
it requires inserting an additional statement in one of the source
files, as described here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/known_problems.html#clang-ncgen3

Assuming you've got HDF5 installed in $H5DIR, you can then configure
with --disable-dap-remote-tests, build, and install:

  DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=${H5DIR}/lib CPPFLAGS="-I${H5DIR}/include"
LDFLAGS="-L${H5DIR}/lib" ./configure --prefix="${NCDIR}"
--disable-dap-remote-tests && make all && make check && make install

However, getting a new version is preferred, with three years of bug
fixes and other improvements ...

--Russ

> Both Russ and I have tried compiling 4.1.3 on our OSX workstations and also
> fail to get netcdf to build.  Given the age of the release, there's
> unfortunately nothing to be done for modern platforms on our end.  You may
> want to try the latest release, 4.3.2.  Note that, starting with netcdf 4.2,
> the fortran and C++ functionality has been split out from the main library
> and must be installed separately.  You can download the source code from
> these libraries at the following pages:
>
> http://github.com/Unidata/netcdf-c/releases
> http://github.com/Unidata/netcdf-fortran/releases
> http://github.com/Unidata/netcdf-cxx4/releases
>
> I hope this helps, I'm sorry we can't provide a solution for building 4.1.3
> on a modern OSX machine.
>
> -Ward
>
> > To whom it may concern:
> >
> > I included some of the necessary information in my email; 2 of the 7 tests
> > failed partway through my installation, namely test_vara and test_varm3. Is
> > this a known issue?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Colin Raymond

Ticket ID: BFT-227872