[netCDF #ENG-687406]: can't install netcdf on os x mavericks

> I also tried setenv CPPFLAGS -I/usr/local/include
> and setenv LDFLAGS -L/usr/local/lib
> with the same unhappy results.
>
> I should have mentioned that earlier.  Sorry.

The config.log you sent doesn't show that CPPFLAGS or LDFLAGS were successfully
set.
There is a section at the end of config.log listing all the environment
variables that
the configure script can see, and it includes

   ## ----------------- ##
   ## Output variables. ##
   ## ----------------- ##
   CPPFLAGS=''
   LDFLAGS=''

I'm not sure why your setting these variables in tcsh isn't working for the
configure
script, but that's why the installed HDF5 library isn't being found.

One possibility is that you're running the configure script as the root user,
perhaps
with "sudo", which would not inherit some environment variable settings made as
a non-root user.  This used to be in the netCDF C installation instructions,
but it seems
to have been omitted in the current documentation.  Similar instructions are in
the
netCDF-Fortran installation documentation:

     If you set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH) environment variable
[...],
     don't use the "sudo" command before the following "configure" or "make
check"
     commands. Using "sudo" causes the LD_* environment variables to be
ignored, as a
     security precaution. You can use "sudo make install" as the last step, but
you
     shouldn't need to use "sudo" before that.

-Russ

> address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I wrote:
> > > Try instead
> > >
> > > setenv CPPFLAGS -I/usr/local/include
> > > setenv LDFLAGS -L/usr/local/lib
> > >
> > > That should work, followed by "make check" and "sudo make install".
> >
> > but of course you still need to run
> >
> >     ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
> >
> > before running "make check; sudo make install" or just "make check
> > install" if
> > you set --prefix=... a directory that you have permission to write.
> >
> > --Russ
> >

> > Russ Rew                                         UCAR Unidata Program
> > address@hidden                      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
> >

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: ENG-687406
> > Department: Support netCDF
> >

> --
> Grace Peng, PhD
> Atmospheric & Geoscience Research Data Archive
> Computational & Information Systems Laboratory
> 303-497-1218

Ticket ID: ENG-687406
Department: Support netCDF