[netCDF #QKQ-233907]: creating a Netcdf file with projection info.

Hi Bin,

> I am trying to create a netcdf file with projection information, e.g. a
> landsat scene in UTM projection.
> I do not find any dedicated API for putting geo-referencing information into
> the metadata of netcdf file. Should I simply write such info, e.g. projection
> type, coordinates of upleft corner etc., as a regular metadata?
> If there is any special rules for writing geo-referencing information, could
> you please direct me where the manual/examples/guide is?

We recommend using the international standard NetCDF CF Metadata Conventions

  http://cfconventions.org/

which specifies how to represent projection information in "Appendix F. Grid
Mappings":

  http://cfconventions.org/1.6.html#appendix-grid-mappings

Note that the above is document is CF version 1.6 from December 2011.  There is
currently
much active discussion on additions for CF version 1.7, including
representation of
satellite data.

  http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/

Many of the relevant postings on the cf-metadata mailing list start with
questions or proposals about representing GOES-R data products.  For example,
take a look at this posting and follow-ups:

  http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2014/057095.html

There is also a separate mailing list devoted to cf-satellite conventions, with
about 5 years of postings here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/cf-satellite/

--Russ

Ticket ID: QKQ-233907