[netCDF #TUY-356358]: NetCDF compilation Error

Hi,

> I have successfully compiled the netcdf-4.2.3 C library in /usr/local,
> but i am getting errors while compiling netcdf-fortran-4.2, even though
> I have set all the environment variables correctly. I have also provided
> the LD_LIBRARY_PATH. The error is following. I have attached the configure
> and erro log file with this mail, please help me to compile the code.
>
> *** Testing definition of netCDF-4 vars from Fortran 77.
> /home/amit/WRF_Compilation/netcdf-fortran-4.2/nf_test/.libs/lt-ftst_vars:
> symbol lookup error:
> /home/amit/WRF_Compilation/netcdf-fortran-4.2/fortran/.libs/libnetcdff.so.5:
> undefined symbol: nc_set_chunk_cache_ints
> FAIL: ftst_vars

It looks as if the netCDF-C library you are linking to doesn't support
netCDF-4, so the Fortran netCDF-4 tests are failing.

If it was your intention to not support accessing netCDF-4 files through
the Fortran interface, then I think you need to specify the configure option
--disable-netcdf-4 when you run configure to build the Makefiles.

If you actually intended to support netCDF-4, it may be that you are
unintentionally linking to a netCDF-3 only library that is still installed
in a lib/ directory searched by default.  You can determine where the
netCDF-C library is being linked from by using the "ldd" command on your
netCDF-Fortran library, even before it's installed.

It seems that the configure system should determine whether netCDF-4 is
desired and not set up to run tests of netCDF-4 functions if they aren't
available, so that may be a bug in our configure script.  If that's the
case, I'd recommend using the more recent v4.4.0-rc1: Release Candidate 1
for netCDF-Fortran 4.4.0 available from GitHub, or the even more recent
netCDF-Fortran GitHub developer snapshot.

  https://github.com/Unidata/netcdf-fortran

--Russ

> *** Testing netCDF-4 vars from F77 with new types.
> Error: NetCDF: Unknown file
> format
> STOP 2
> FAIL: ftst_vars2
>
> *** Testing enum and opaque types.
> Error: NetCDF: Unknown file
> format
> STOP 2
> FAIL: ftst_vars3
>

> My Environment settings
> Some influential environment variables:
> CC          gcc -m64
> CFLAGS      C compiler flags
> LDFLAGS     -L /usr/lcoal/lib
> LIBS        libraries to pass to the linker, e.g. -l<library>
> CPPFLAGS    -I /usr/local/include
> FC          gfortran -m64
> FCFLAGS     -g
> F77         gfortran -m64
> FFLAGS      -g -O2
> CPP         C preprocessor
>
> --
>

> *AMIT KUMAR DUBEYRESEARCH SCHOLARDEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERINGINDIAN
> INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY GUWAHATI*

Ticket ID: TUY-356358
Department: Support netCDF