[netCDF #PPE-116333]: Can't find or link to the z library

Hi Michael,

> This should be easy, but it's hard to sort through the config.log file.
> Libraries are built in /home/ctdeep/CMAQ/CMAQv5.0.1/lib/netCDF/lib (libz.a
> and libs.o)for CMAQ install.  Any ideas?
>
> configure:16417: error: Can't find or link to the z library. Turn off
> netCDF-4 and      opendap with --disable-netcdf-4 --disable-dap, or see
> config.log for errors.

Check if your HDF5 library was built with zlib.  The easiest way is to look in
the libhdf5.settings
file in the same directory where the HDF5 library is installed, and search for
the line

         I/O filters (external): deflate(zlib)

which might also have other filters in addition to zlib, but if it doesn't have
zlib, you'll have to rebuild
HDF5 with zlib support.

Also, you need to indicate where to find the HDF5 library, using CPPFLAGS and
LDFLAGS environment
variables, as described in

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/getting_and_building_netcdf.html#build_default

Note that the "--with-zlib=..." configure option you used is not supported by
the netCDF-4 configure,
as it's not listed in configure --help output.  Instead, zlib must be found
either in a default system
directory or in locations listed with the CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS environment
variables.

--Russ

Ticket ID: PPE-116333
Department: Support netCDF