[netCDF #IJS-970888]: checking for nc_open in -lnetcdf... no

Hi Andy,

> Description of problem: I am trying to install GDL and need to build netcdf4
> first, which I did as follows:
>
> export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/alward/local/lib:/home/alward/local/lib64:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
> export CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include
> export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib64"
> ./configure --with-netcdf=/home/alward/local --with-hdf5=/home/alward/local
> --prefix=/home/alward/local

The "--with-hdf5" option to configure was removed from netCDF version
4.1.3 (June 2011) and all subsequent versions, because it caused problems
with installing both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the library at the
same time.  Instead, the configure uses environment variables, which leave
full control in the hands of the user/installer.

See these instructions for using CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS, and sometimes
LD_LIBRARY_FLAGS for the configure script:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/building.html

--Russ

For version 4.3.1.1 of netCDF (and other recent versions)
> When I run make check install I get the following error:
>
> checking for nc_open in -lnetcdf... no
>
> I have checked everywhere and can't find this file. I have gone back and
> installed netcdf-4.3.1, same result- no nc_open.
>
> Please advise
>
> Andy Ward

Ticket ID: IJS-970888
Department: Support netCDF