[netCDF #FUW-295578]: netcdf Make check error

Alex,

> Thank you for your help with the previous 2 problems. I sorry, but I've
> managed to have another issue now. As before, I have successfully installed
> the netcdf C library (4.3.1) already, and now I'm trying to install the
> fortran library (4.2). I have exported the env variable $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> that points to the lib directory of the netcdf C installation as you
> suggested, which allowed the `configure` step to complete without errors.
>
> However, after I call `configure` on the fortran library as below:
>
> CC=$HOME/apps/gcc/gcc/bin/gcc CXX=$HOME/apps/gcc/gcc/bin/g++
> FC=$HOME/apps/gcc/gcc/bin/gfortran
> CPPFLAGS=-I$HOME/apps/netcdf/4.3.1/include
> LDFLAGS=-L$HOME/apps/netcdf/4.3.1/lib ./configure
> --prefix=$HOME/apps/netcdf/4.3.1
>
> I then get the following error when I call `make check`:
>
> libtool: compile:  /home/fispalma25/apps/gcc/gcc/bin/gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
> -I. -I.. -DDLL_EXPORT -I/home/fispalma25/apps/netcdf/4.3.1/include -g -O2
> -MT fort-attio.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/fort-attio.Tpo -c fort-attio.c  -fPIC
> -DPIC -o .libs/fort-attio.o
> In file included from fort-attio.c:8:0:
> *ncfortran.h:24:42: fatal error: NF_INT_IS_C_... not defined: No such file
> or directory*
> * #   include "NF_INT_IS_C_... not defined"*
> *                                          ^*
> compilation terminated.
>
> Once again, I'd be grateful for any help you could give me. I've never had
> these problems installing netcdf before. I suppose I have overlooked some
> detail again. The config.log and fortran/nfconfig.in, fortran/nfconfig.inc
> files are attached if they help.

I've seen this problem before in config.log, here's the description:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/netcdf/msg11949.html

The solution explained there is:

   You either need to rebuild your gfortran configured with
   --disable-libquadmath (which means it won't support REAL(16)
   or COMPLEX(16) types, not required by the Fortran standards
   as far as I know, or you'll have to install libquadmath to
   make such support available.

You might find it easier to just install a gcc and gfortran
compiler pair that are known to have been built compatibly.
There is no need to have the very latest gcc/gfortran.  I'd
recommend just getting the compilers from a package management
system that makes binaries available, such as "yum".

--Russ

Ticket ID: FUW-295578
Department: Support netCDF