[netCDF #HUQ-493499]: HDF4 hncgen fails on netCDF3-valid NC_CHAR arrays

Hi Charlie,

> Not sure where to report this so I'll try here :)
> The attached CDL file builds fine with ncgen though not with hncgen,
> i.e., generating HDF4 file does not work.
> Also true with multidimensional arrays, e.g., one_dmn_rec_var_sng(time,lat).
>
> zender@roulee:~$ hncgen -V
> hncgen, HDF Version 4.2 Release 9, February 7, 2013
> zender@roulee:~$ hncgen -b -o ~/bug.hdf ~/bug.cdl
> hncgen: /home/zender/bug.cdl line 9: string won't fit in this variable
> zender@roulee:~$ ncgen -b -o ~/bug.nc ~/bug.cdl
> zender@roulee:~$

I'd never heard of hncgen before your question.  I see that when I build and
install HDF-4.2.9 with the --disable-netcdf --prefix=${H4DIR} configure
options, an "ncgen" executable is installed in ${H4DIR}/bin/.  Also, there
has apparently been a request to the HDF Group to rename the HDF4 ncgen
utility to avoid the name clash with the netCDF utility:

http://lists.hdfgroup.org/pipermail/hdf-forum_lists.hdfgroup.org/2013-November/007300.html

From that, I'd guess the bug you found should be sent to address@hidden.

--Russ

> --
> Charlie Zender, Earth System Sci. & Computer Sci.
> University of California, Irvine 949-891-2429 )'(

Ticket ID: HUQ-493499
Department: Support netCDF