[netCDF #VQO-244906]: NetCDF Java library and NetCDF 4, and other documentation notes

Hi John,

> In
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/thredds/current/netcdf-java/documentation.htm
>
> it says "The NetCDF-Java library is a 100% Java framework for reading
> netCDF and other file formats into the CDM, as well as writing to the
> netCDF-3 file format."
>
> So, does it not write to the netCDF-4 file format? Can NetCDF-4 features
> be created using this library? If not, what is recommended instead? I've
> read the excellent FAQ, and while it lists a number of conversion options,
> it doesn't seem to address this directly.

Further down in the web page referenced above, it says:

   Writing to netCDF-4 format is supported, if you have the netCDF C library
   loaded. As of 4.3.14, this is BETA software.

This is a work in progress, using JNA.  You can get more information on
remaining issues from address@hidden or by looking at
the netCDF-4 related issues here:

   https://bugtracking.unidata.ucar.edu/browse/TDS

> Anticipating the answer might involve other non-Java libraries, I am
> wondering if there are functional differences between the different
> downloads (Java, C, C++, Fortran). If there are, should those be
> summarized (or pointed to) at
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/netcdf/index.jsp
>
> and in the FAQ?

The C++, and Fortran APIs are built on top of the C library and are intended to
implement the same data model.

Our five-year plans include reconciling differences in C and Java data models.
Here is a two-way mapping between the netCDF-4 and CDM data models that lists
the differences:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/thredds/current/netcdf-java/CDM/Netcdf4.html

You're right that it would be good to have a reference to this in the downloads
page.  Also the FAQ for C-based netCDF software should include more information
about the current state of netCDF-Java software, though there are over a dozen
references to netCDF-Java interspersed among the answers.

> Having mentioned the downloads page, I'd like to suggest that it reference
> the FAQ entry
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/faq.html#howtoget
>
> which mentions other sources.

Good idea, thanks!

> And having mentioned the FAQ, I note the Table of Contents section has
> some text oddly appearing just before Installation and Porting.

Hmm, all I see is the bulleted link

  Is there a document describing the actual physical format for a Unidata
netCDF file?

Maybe someone else already fixed what you're seeing?

--Russ

Ticket ID: VQO-244906
Department: Support netCDF