[netCDF #DTR-594082]: Missing interface netcdf.hh

Hi Euripides,

> I'm on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
> Have installed hdf5-1.8.11,netcdf-4.3.0 and netcdf-fortran-4.2. Tested
> fortran libraries on gfortran and they work as intended. After
> installing netcdf-cxx4-4.2.1,even though the C++ libraries appear in
> my /lib and installation shows no errors, there is no netcdf.hh in
> /include and programmes in
> gcc don't compile.On an installation I did about a year ago on a
> different machine,netcdf.hh was in my /include.
> Any help would be appreciated.

The netcdf-cxx4 (new) and netcdf-cxx (legacy) C++ libraries for netCDF
have different APIs that are not compatible, as explained here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/netcdf/

where it describes the current situation with these two software libraries:

  Legacy NetCDF-3 C++ Source Code targball (.tar.gz)
  Documentation: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/netcdf-cxx.html

  This version of the netCDF C++ library includes no changes since the 4.1.3
  release, but is provided for backwards compatibility as a separate package.
  It was developed before key C++ concepts like templates, namespaces, and
  exceptions were widely supported. It's not recommended for new projects,
  but it still works.

  The Latest Stable netCDF-4 C++ Release
  Documentation: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/cxx4/

  The netCDF-4 C++ version 4.2.1 release is the latest stable release
supporting
  the netCDF-4 data model and formats.

The netcdf.hh include file declares the API for the old "legacy" netCDF C++
library.

The latest version of the netCDF-4 C++ library is available on GitHub:

   https://github.com/Unidata/netcdf-cxx4

We will soon be integrating 4 pull requests from another developer into the
GitHub sources, but you can also do this from the github site.

--Russ

Ticket ID: DTR-594082
Department: Support netCDF