[netCDF #RKE-155992]: separate

Hi Fereshteh,

> i have one netCDF file which includes different variables: level,long, lat,
> time and *Temp*. *Temp* is 4 dimensions (192*92*1*1460) in 1460 time steps
> which include one year data *(365 (day)*4(time in day)=1460).* now i want
> to separate this netCDF file to 12 months.
>
> Would you please guide me how i can do this. If there is any way such as
> any m file i become appreciate to receive it.

You can probably find a way to do this by scripting existing netCDF
utility programs from one of these freely available software packages:

   NCO (netCDF Operators)
   http://nco.sourceforge.net/

   NCL (NCAR Command Language)
   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/

   CDO (Climate Data Operators)
   https://code.zmaw.de/projects/cdo

If you know Python, another software package with sophisticated
built-in time handling for climate data is:

   netcdf4-python
   http://code.google.com/p/netcdf4-python/

It's also possible to do what you want with netCDF library calls in a
C or Fortran program, but I think using one of the packages above
would be simpler.  These packages support more sophisticated analysis
capabilities than the netCDF I/O libraries or the basic netCDF
utilities (ncdump, nccopy, ncgen), so learning about one of them would
be useful in future analyses of netCDF data ...

Also these software packages have helpful online forums or mailing
lists.  Some other user may have already done something similar to what
you want to do.  For example:

    NCO Help Forum:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/nco/discussion/9830

    NCL mailing lists:
    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Support/email_lists.shtml

Good luck in finding a simple way to split your yearly file into monthly
files ...

--Russ

Ticket ID: RKE-155992
Department: Support netCDF