From: John Caron [address@hidden]
Sent: 27 November 2013 19:43
To: Gaffney, Sean P.
Cc: Lowry, Roy K.; Luong, Quyen T.; Jon Blower; address@hidden
Subject: Re: query about java netcdf libraries and THREDDS

Hi Sean:

First, what version TDS and ncWMS are you using?

Second, if you can send me a sample file, it is easier for me to run it
through the software, and ill see if i can reproduce the problem.

Further, "days since -4713-01-01 00:00:00" is a very bad choice IMO of a
reference date, as gregorian calendar has problems going that far back.
We use standard java date library "joda-time" (which will become the
standard java date parsing in java 8), and basically follow its lead, so
that we dont have to be experts ourselves.

Ive talked to Roy and SeaDataNet about this choice, and they seem to
agree they would do it differently if they were starting over. Anyway, I
would recommend that you not use it if you have a choice, as its just
trouble. Just using a reference date after 1600 or so is all thats
needed. If this is modern data, I cant think of any reason not to use a
modern date like 1970.

Having said that, Im sure we can figure out the problem and a workaround.

John