[netCDF #YHW-805750]: error installing wgrib2

Heather,

> In the main grib2 directory that the tarball unpacked, I do not see a build
> directory config.log file. I did a grep and there's a config.log file only in
> grib2/jasper-1.900.1 and grib2/netcdf-3.6.3...I assume the second is the one
> you need so that one is attached. If not, let me know.

The config.log looks good, and indicates you're using an i686 architecture,
which is 32-bit.  The netCDF library can be compiled and built OK on 32-bit
architectures, but it looks like there is something wrong with the WGRIB2
build system for 32-bit architectures, as they report in this file:

  ftp://ftp.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wd51we/wgrib2/README.netcdf3

where it says to get wgrib2 on a 32-bit architecture, you'll need to use
netCDF-4.

You can get netCDF-4 from here:

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.gz

and build it separately, before building wgrib2.  It looks like you want
to configure with

  ./configure --disable-netcdf-4

using whatever prefix you want as the root of the installation (but not the
same as the source directory!).  You can also use --disable-dap if you have
no use for access to data on remote OPeNDAP servers (or THREDDS servers).
Here's more details:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/build_classic.html

> The "make check" output is below:
>
> vagrant@precise32:~/grib2$ make check
> make: *** No rule to make target `check'.  Stop.
>
> I hope it means something to you because it does not look very helpful to me
> :)

I should have specified the "make check" output run from the netcdf/ top-level
source directory, which would have produced the "nc_test" error you saw.  But
there's no need for it now, since wgrib2 apparently can't build netCDF-3
correctly on 32-bit platforms, according to the wgrib2/README.netcdf3 document
referenced above.

If building from source still leads to problems, I notice there are pre-built
versions of netCDF libraries available from Ubuntu package repositories, found
by Googling for

  ubuntu netcdf-3

--Russ

Ticket ID: YHW-805750