[netCDF #XWK-875755]: cygwin 64 fail on make test

Hi David,

In addition to the answers Russ has provided, I just wanted to jump in
and provide an alternative solution to building and installing netcdf/hdf5
manually.

Using the latest Cygwin 64 package manager (setup-x86_64.exe), Cygwin
provides pre-built HDF5 and NetCDF libraries.  Installing these should also
install any dependencies (such as zlib)  automatically.  Looking at the
install options now, you can search for both 'hdf' and 'netcdf'. The
packages
are under the 'Libs' heading:

o libhdf5_8 - This package appears to install hdf5 1.8.11-1, a recent
release
o netcdf, libnetcdf7, libnetcdf-devel - These are listed as version
4.3.0, the latest
    stable release.  We don't maintain these packages so I can't tell
you what the
    differences are, but I assume one or all of them will contain what
you need.

Perhaps the easiest solution might be to install these, instead of wrestling
with the manual install?

-Ward

On 10/9/13 11:36 AM, David Hindle wrote:
> New Client Reply: cygwin 64 fail on make test
>
> I've just realised that part of the problem may be installing without
> zlib and hdf5 (it worked anyway, and I'd assumed they were part of a
> full cygwin64 installation, but maybe not).
>
> Do you by any chance know how to install zlib correctly, in order to
> function with netcdf? Which target directory should I let it install in?
>
> Many thanks
>
> David
>
> On 09.10.2013 19:32, Unidata netCDF Support wrote:
>>> Okay
>>>
>>> That seemed to work as far as netcdf goes. (I used disable_dap)
>> Great.
>>
>>> Unfortunately, the problem with GMT remains. I've no idea what they've
>>> done with GMT, but they seem to have withdrawn all support from netcdf,
>>> which is a pity, since it is essential for GMT. I don't suppose you know
>>> anything about GMT do you?
>> It's my understanding that netCDF is used internally, within GMT, to store
>> map tiles.  Sorry, but I don't know much else about it.
>>
>> --Russ
>>
>>> Many thanks
>>>
>>> David Hindle

>>> --
>>> ****************************************
>>> Dr David Hindle
>>> University of Göttingen
>>> GZG, Structural Geology and Geodynamics
>>> Rm. 119
>>> Goldschmidtstr. 1-3
>>> 37077 Göttingen
>>> Germany
>>>
>>> tel. +49 551 397905
>>> fax. +49 551 399700
>>>

>> Russ Rew                                         UCAR Unidata Program
>> address@hidden                      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu
>>

>> Ticket Details
>> Ticket ID: XWK-875755
>> Department: Support netCDF