[netCDF #SVG-148912]: Fortran could not compile .f90 files

Hi Scott,

The beta release you tried is designed to support Fortran-2003 and Fortran-90,
as well as Fortran-77.  It supports --enable-f77 and --disable-f03 options,
with which you can build a Fortran library that supports the F77 and F90 APIs.
However, you can't use just g77 for building this library, because it can't
compile F90 code needed in the new design of the library.

If you need to disable the F90 API as well, I recommend using the stable
released
version of the Fortran library, netcdf-fortran-4.2, available here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/netcdf/netcdf-fortran/

It supports the --disable-f90 option, but I can't verify that it works with g77,
as I don't currently have access to an installed version of that compiler.
Please let us know if it doesn't work, and provide the details ...

--Russ

> Package Version: netcdf-fortran-4.4-beta1
> Operating System: Centos 2.6.32-279.el6.x86_64
> Hardware: HP Proliant DL
> Description of problem: When attempting to install netcdf-fortran, unable to
> proceed due to error. Have tried --disable-f90, but complains that it is not
> a supported option: configure: WARNING: unrecognized options:  --disable-f90
>
> This is command, followed by output:
> [root@hp-dl06 netcdf-fortran-4.4-beta1]#
> CPPFLAGS=-I/home/spacewxr/local/include LDFLAGS=-L/home/spacewxr/local/lib
> FC=g77 ./configure --prefix=/home/spacewxr/local configure: netCDF-Fortran
> 4.4-beta1
> checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking target system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
> checking for gawk... gawk
> configure: checking user options
> checking whether extra valgrind tests should be run... no
> checking whether parallel IO tests should be run... no
> checking whether netCDF extra tests should be run (developers only)... no
> configure: finding C compiler
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking dependency style of gcc... gcc3
> checking whether gcc and cc understand -c and -o together... yes
> checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes
> configure: finding Fortran compiler
> checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran compiler... yes
> checking whether g77 accepts -g... yes
> checking for g77... g77
> checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... yes
> checking whether g77 accepts -g... yes
> checking whether Fortran compiler is checked for ISO_C_BINDING support... yes
> checking for Fortran flag to compile .f90 files... unknown
> configure: error: Fortran could not compile .f90 files
>
> We wish to use g77 as the fortran compiler.

Ticket ID: SVG-148912
Department: Support netCDF