[netCDF #HQM-966726]: NCDUMP utility request

Rob,

Although I recommended using netCDF version 4.3.0 from 3 months ago, it looks
like you instead built and installed version 4.1.3 from June 2011.  There
have been lots of enhancements and bug fixes to the library and utilities,
including ncdump, since June 2011, as you can see from notes mentioning ncdump
in the 4.3.0 release notes:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/release-notes-4.3.0.html

Another advantage of the 4.3.0 release, since you said it was being built
primarily for use of ncdump on a server, is that the Fortran librararies
have been separated out into an independent release, so 4.3.0 is C only.
Thus you wouldn't have encountered any problems with gcc f90 ...

> ...                                      Let us know if we should
> have any concerns installing on Solaris 11.1 SPARC servers if possible.

Either 4.3.0 or 4.3.1 (when it's released) should work fine on Solaris 11.1,
and either should be simpler to build than netCDF 4.1.3, which we will not
be able to continue to support as well as more recent versions ...

--Russ

Ticket ID: HQM-966726
Department: Support netCDF