[netCDF #NRA-789780]: DAP failure on ncdump, but netcdf-java works fine

Rich-
So it turns out that this is a server side problem.
You can see it by inserting the following url into your
web browser.
http://colossus.dl.stevens-tech.edu/thredds/dodsC/fmrc/NYBight/NYHOPS_Forecast_Collection_for_the_New_York_Bight_best.ncd.asc?date

This may take some time to fix. So as a temporary work around,
you can prefix your urls with [noprefetch]. So for example, use
    [noprefetch]http://colossus...

What is happening is that by default, the netcdf c library prefetches
small variables from the server. One of these is date, and that is failing
so it looks like the xpos is failing but it is really something else.
[reminder to me: see if I can improve error reporting in this case].

p.s. I have moved this to the netcdf java support because it is a server
side problem.
=Dennis Heimbigner
  Unidata

Ticket ID: NRA-789780